Become A Supporter
“I’m a support worker with Unseen, supporting victims of human trafficking and modern slavery. I just wanted to write and say a massive thank you and that I hope you know what a massive difference your work makes. There are two bikes at the project I work at, donated by the Bike Project and they have greatly enriched the lives of many of the clients here – helping build their confidence, getting them outside and taking exercise, saving them bus money and generally contributing so much to their healing and wellness.” Rose
Become a Supporter of The Bristol Bike Project.
We are a community scheme, managed by volunteers and supported by you. To keep our Earn a Bike programme running, we need funds to cover the costs. Here are six and a half reasons to become a supporter.
1. Earn a Bike puts up to eight new cyclists on the roads of Bristol every week.
2. We provide bikes and repairs to people with severe barriers to employment, asylum seekers, those with long term health problems, ex-offenders and people on substance abuse recovery schemes. We are the only free cycle service available for these marginalised groups.
3. We provide bikes free of charge, reducing the demand for stolen bikes. Before the Bike Project, stolen bikes were often the only bikes available to people on very low incomes. We will never work on a bike we believe to be stolen.
4. Our volunteer programme provides a supportive, learning environment and important social contact. Our workshops can give a rewarding and motivating volunteer opportunity, especially for those experiencing long term unemployment and/or social exclusion.
5. Reuse and recycling is at the heart of our scheme. We aim to reuse every working component and recycle worn out and damaged parts (even low value materials such as tyres and inner tubes). If we can keep it out of landfill, we will.
6. 100% of your contribution will go towards our Earn-a-Bike Programme. None of it will be spent on admin or overheads.
6.5. You will receive the following:
• 10% discount on servicing and repairs, secondhand bikes for sale and new parts in our shop
• 50% discount on secondhand parts (and sometimes even for free!)
• 10% discount on our maintenance courses
• A Bristol Bike Project t-shirt (fair-trade organic cotton)
• A set of BBP stickers
• A quarterly e-newsletter complete with invites to BBP events
• A copy of the most recent issue of Boneshaker Magazine
• A warm glow deep down inside!
For all these reasons we ask you to make a monthly contribution of at least £5. We want to improve the quality of our community service for project-users, and your funding will allow us to do so in the following ways:
• To cover the cost of some new parts for preparing and reparing the bikes – brake blocks, chains, bearings etc.
• To employ a Workshop Coordinator to oversee the safe and efficient running of the workshop, as well as inducting and training volunteers.